13405 Lake Shore Boulevard
Plat No. 631-10-010
Wester half of sublot 12 in the W. H. Osborn Subdivision
The home is listed in the Ohio Historic Inventory
Jennie O’Dell acquired the property on October 19, 1889
William and Julia Beavis acquired the property on December 10, 1897.
Charles and Francis Morgan acquired the property on March 25, 1909.
Howard and Alice Burgess acquired the property on March 22, 1917. They commissioned Meade & Hamilton to design a Spanish Mediterranean villa to be built over a section of the basement from the previous home known as the Green cottage.
The partnership of Meade & Hamilton coincided with the “golden age” of the suburban home that came in the years immediately before and after the First World War. After three years with Alfred Granger and six years with Abram Garfield, Frank Meade formed a partnership with James Hamilton in 1911 that was to last for thirty years.
Frank B. Meade was born in Norwalk, Ohio. He studied in Boston and worked as a draftsman in the office of William LeBaron Jenney in Chicago. In 1911 Meade succeeded John Carrere as a member of the Cleveland Group Plan Commission.
Meade & Hamilton designed six additional Bratenahl residences: the Corning home at 281 Corning, the Bulkley home at 282 Corning, Haysmar Complex at 10221 Lake Shore, the Strong home at 10494 Lake Shore, the Sheffield home at 13003 Lake Shore, and the Coe home at 13303 Lake Shore.
The 5,000 square-foot home, completed in 1926, was clad in warm-toned stucco, adorned with a wrought-iron balcony, and topped by a ceramic tile roof. It is separated from other houses by a stucco and tiled wall on the west side and shrubbery of the east side.
A floor of brick and tile went from outside the entrance into the foyer and hallway. Most of the wood trim was black walnut. The walls had wide oak panels.
To the right of the hallway was the living room with one of the home’s four working wood-burning fireplaces. The living room fireplace had a Spanish mantel. Off the living room was a library with built-in shelves and a fireplace with ceramic tile. Doors opened onto a patio that faced the beach.
To the left of the front door was the formal dining room, with a wood-burning fireplace of masonry and precast concrete. A Florida room, with a door to the patio, was off the dining room.
A stairway straight ahead in the foyer leads to a second floor. There were five bedrooms and three bathrooms in the central portion of the second floor. Two additional bedrooms and a bathroom were in the servants’ quarters. The master bedroom had large closets, a wood-burning fireplace, and a master bathroom.
George and Helen Johnson acquired the home on July 23, 1937, from the Cleveland Trust Company, trustee for the estate of Helen’s parents, Howard and Alice Burgess.
Dr. Robert and Helen Hosler acquired the home on October 30, 1961.
E. Bruce and Nancie Dunn acquired the home on October 15, 1991.