Charles Carleton - President of Mills-Carleton Company
13421 Lake Shore Boulevard
After leaving high school, Charles Carleton was employed by B. W. Jenks & Company in a lumbering operation near Grand Rapids, Michigan. He came to Cleveland in May 1885 to work for the N. Mills & Company, a lumber dealer. He purchased an interest in the following year and became president of the Mills-Carleton Company.
He was also treasurer of the Eddy Road Allotment Company, vice-president of the Pearl Street Realty Company and a director of the Lumber Underwriters of New York. Charles retired from active business on September 1, 1924.
Charles Henry Carleton was born on September 18, 1859, in St. Clair, Michigan to George and Emeline Carleton. He was educated in St. Clair and attended Valparaiso University College of Business.
Charles married Janet L. Morrison in Wayne, Michigan on January 3, 1889. They had three children: George Morrison, Margaret, and Jean.
Charles was a member of the Penn-York Lumberman’s Club and The Country Club.
Janet died on April 27, 1925. Charles died on June 23, 1937. Both are buried in Lake View Cemetery.