10494 Lake Shore Boulevard
Plat No. 631-15-001 and 631-15-002
This home is listed in the Ohio Historic Inventory
Belle Marks acquired the property from Louis Grossman on December 8, 1915.
Charles and Louise Strong acquired the 20,000 square-foot property on December 16, 1916, and built a 9,400 square-foot home designed by Meade & Hamilton.
The partnership of Meade & Hamilton coincided with the “golden age” of the suburban home that came in the years immediately before and after the First World War. After three years with Alfred Granger and six years with Abram Garfield, Frank Meade formed a partnership with James Hamilton in 1911 that was to last for thirty years.
Frank B. Meade was born in Norwalk, Ohio. He studied in Boston and worked as a draftsman in the office of William LeBaron Jenney in Chicago. In 1911 Meade succeeded John Carrere as a member of the Cleveland Group Plan Commission.
Meade & Hamilton designed six additional Bratenahl residences: the Corning home at 281 Corning, the Bulkley home at 282 Corning, the Haysmar Complex at 10221 Lake Shore, the Sheffield home at 13003 Lake Shore, the Coe home at 13303 Lake Shore, and the Johnson home at 13405 Lake Shore.
The Strong home had five bedrooms with seven full bathrooms and two half bathrooms. Charles’s older sister, Sophia Elizabeth Strong Taylor, would later build Lakehurst at 193 Bratenahl Road.
Bratenahl Development acquired the home from Rachel Strong De Boisgelin and Keziah Strong Hoyt on November 10, 1960.
Michael and Nancy Marn acquired the home on July 31, 1991.
Laurelee Howley acquired the home on November 4, 2000.
Thomas and Carol McDonald acquired the home on March 3, 2005.