Dr. Robert Hosler - Surgeon of University Hospitals
12321 Lake Shore Boulevard and Bratenahl Place
Dr. Robert Hosler was an expert on resuscitation. As a University Hospitals Surgeon, he helped create the first course in cardiac resuscitation for physicians and traveled to Europe and South America to explain the techniques. Robert published “A Manual on Cardiac Resuscitation,” a primary text translated into many languages. He was one of the first American doctors to visit Soviet Union medical facilities after the onset of the Cold War.
He maintained an office at the Carnegie Medical Building at East 105th Street and Carnegie Avenue but was called upon to practice surgery at hospitals throughout Cuyahoga and surrounding counties.
Dr. Hosler was elected to serve on Bratenahl Village Council beginning in 1960. He served for ten years until he resigned in 1969, being replaced by Bruce Dunn.
Dr. Robert Marshall Hosler Sr. was born on October 26, 1906. Ancestors on both sides of his family had been colonial settlers in Maryland and Pennsylvania.
When Robert was a child, his family vacationed on Stag Island on the St. Clair River. He developed a love for the water and Great Lake ships. In 1925, he spent part of the summer as a deckhand on the William Edenborn, one of the freighters buried under 39-feet of dredging from the Cuyahoga River that formed Dyke 14 in Gordon Park.
Dr. Robert Marshall Hosler attended the University of Michigan and Western Reserve University Medical School.
Hosler’s first wife, Eleanor, was born on June 8, 1908. They had two children: Robert Marshall Jr., born on January 3, 1942, and Martha (Durey).
Robert next married Helen Burgess Johnson in 1948. She was born on October 20, 1912, to George and Helen Johnson. From age two on, she lived at 13405 Lake Shore Boulevard and attended Bratenahl School and Laurel School, then graduated from Smith College.
In 1932, Helen had previously married Gordon Bruce Dunn in 1932. They had two sons: E. Bruce Dunn, born March 24, 1934, and George Johnson Dunn, born April 29, 1935.
Dr. Hosler belonged to the American Board of Surgery and the American College of Surgeons. He was a member of the Great Lakes Historical Society Board of Trustees, Sons of the American Revolution and First Cleveland Cavalry Association.
Helen was active in many of Cleveland’s charitable agencies, including the Sunbeam Shop at Vocational Guidance Services and the Western Reserve Historical Society.
Social clubs included Cheshire Cheese, Cleveland Yachting, Clifton, Mayfield Golf, and Union clubs plus the Seigniory Club of Canada.
The Hoslers moved to Two Bratenahl Place. Robert Hosler died on September 20, 1994, in the Judson Park community. Helen was perhaps Bratenahl’s oldest resident when she died at the age of 94 on January 13, 2007. Both Robert and Helen were buried in Lake View Cemetery.