282 Corning Drive
Plat No. 631-05-001
Standard Land Company sublot 1 Northern Part
The home is listed in the Ohio Historic Inventory
Robert and Katherine Bulkley purchased the four-acre lot at the northwest end of Corning June 14, 1917, from the Standard Land Company and built a twenty-room tan Spanish Mediterranean stucco home designed by Meade & Hamilton in 1926.
The design of the 24-room home is notable because the lake could be viewed from virtually every room in the house. The great hall that runs centrally from the front to the back of the house was conceived as a way to provide not only a panoramic view but direct access across the terrace to the front lawn and the Lake Shore.
A broad center hall ran front to back, ending in a spacious outdoor patio with a tiled floor. Off the main hall was the formal living room with a marble framed fireplace and oversized windows offering a lake view.
A stunning library was also off the center hallway at the front of the house. The oak paneling and the fireplace were transported by Bulkley from the family home at 2926 Euclid Avenue. A black marble fireplace and dark chestnut walls made the library feel darker than the breezy living room.
A formal dining room at the back of the house and the smaller breakfast room had views of the lake. The second floor was accessible by front and back stairways. An elevator ran from the basement to the second floor. Five suites on the second floor, with four facing the lake, had their own bath or a sitting room or both. The third floor with three smaller bedrooms and a shared bath were for the servants.
The home was furnished with 15th and 16th-Century Italian furniture. The antique pieces were bought by Robert’s mother in Europe for her Paris apartment. It had been reported that certain walls were scaled to the exact size of the heirloom tapestries they were to accommodate.
Katherine White Merkel Reswick, acquired the home on August 2, 1966.
Harry L. Jackson, a former Lubrizol executive, acquired the home on December 26, 1969.
E. Mandell deWindt, CEO of Eaton Corp, acquired the home on February 14, 1973. The home became a base for Eaton’s international social activities.
Edward F. Crawford, dba Francis Park LLC, acquired the home on February 28, 2013.
Park Ohio Industries Inc. acquired the home on December 18, 2014. Edward F. Crawford was board chairman of Park Ohio Industries.