Nathan Loeser - Founder of Hahn Loeser & Parks
10214 Lake Shore Boulevard
In 1920, Loeser, along with Edgar Hahn, established Mooney, Hahn, Loeser & Keough, that became Hahn, Loeser, Freedheim, Dean & Wellman in 1985. The firm joined with Parks, Eisele, Bates & Wilsman. Hahn Loeser & Parks, with approximately 65 lawyers, became Cleveland’s 8th largest law firm.
Loeser was elected to Bratenahl Village Council in 1938 and served 11 years until he resigned in 1949.
Nathan Loeser was born on August 8, 1869, in Cleveland, Ohio, to Moses and Mariana Loeser. He was raised in Buffalo and studied law and Journalism at Cornell University. After graduation, he worked as a writer for the Buffalo Express, Buffalo Courier, New York Herald, and Associated Press.
Loeser returned to Cleveland in 1892 and took a position in the law office of Louis Grossman. He earned admission to the bar in December 1895. He later admitted to the United States District Court, United States Circuit Court of Appeals and United States Supreme Court. For several years starting in 1896, Loeser and Grossman published the American Lawyers Quarterly.
In 1913, Loeser married Beatrice Moss, the sister of Irene Moss Hahn, who lived at 10200 Lake Shore Boulevard. Beatrice was born on December 15, 1879, in St. Louis, Missouri. They had two children: Mary Ann born on April 26, 1918, and Charles Nathan born on May 26, 1922. Both attended Bratenahl School through the eighth grade. Mary went on to Hathaway Brown School, and Charles went on to University School.
Loeser was president of Mt. Sinai Hospital from the late 1890s until 1910. With John Anisfield, he was instrumental in obtaining support from the Federation of Jewish Charities for the hospital’s construction in 1916. Loeser was a long-time trustee of the federation. In 1901, he was president of the Baron de Hirsch Lodge of B’Nai B’rith. Like his father before him, Loeser was president of Euclid Avenue Temple.
Loeser was chosen by Louis Beaumont, principal owner of the May Company of Cleveland, to be a trustee of the Louis D. Beaumont Foundation, a charitable trust providing money for social welfare projects. For his leadership in citywide and Jewish community activities, Loeser received the Eisenman Award by the Jewish Community Federation in 1949.
Loeser was a member of the City, Cornell, Excelsior, and Oakwood Country clubs.
Beatrice died on February 8, 1930, at age 51. Nathan died on June 30, 1953, and buried alongside Beatrice in Mayfield Cemetery.