Florence and Herman Moss
10305 Lake Shore Boulevard
Florence Moss was active in dozens of Cleveland charities and a member of the city’s oldest Jewish family. She was the former Florence Marks, whose father founded and planned the country’s first community fund, and whose great-grandfather, Simpson Thorman was the first Jewish settler in Cleveland.
A woman of amazing energy, she attended three or four meetings a week almost to the end of her life. The Family Health Association and the Cleveland Welfare Federation were her first interests. She served for many years on the Joint Educational Loan Committee and the Cleveland Health Council, of which she was treasurer of five years.
She worked in the American Red Cross canteen program in both World Wars. During World War I, Florence served with the Bratenahl Canteen. She was a director of Bellefaire and a trustee of the Cleveland Health Museum, the Maternal Health Association, and the Jewish Children’s Bureau.
Florence served on the women’s committees of Mount Sinai Hospital, Fenn College, the Cleveland Orchestra, and the Temple. She was president of the Educational League.
She was also active in the Cleveland Friends of Music, the Western Reserve Historical Society, the Musical Arts Association, and the Western Reserve University and Flora Stone Mather College alumnae associations
Florence was born on May 3, 1887, in Cleveland, the daughter of Martin and Belle Marks. She attended Central High School and was in the 1909 class of Flora Stone Mather College of Western Reserve University.
Florence married Herman Moss on June 24, 1908, The Marks had three daughters: Margaret Elizabeth (Siegel) born on November 6, 1909, Janet Belle (Gross) born on November 26, 1913, and Katalina (Martin). Margaret and Janet attended Bratenahl School.
Herman Moss was born on August 5, 1874, in Cleveland Ohio the son of Charles and Rachel Moss. He graduated from Western Reserve University in 1897. He became a general agent for the Equitable Life Assurance Society of the U. S. and was the originator of the life insurance course at Western Reserve University from 1913 to 1914. He was a director of the Union Trust Company and Cleveland Worsted Mills Company.
Herman was president of Cleveland Life Underwriters, Inc., resident of Temple Course for eight years, and a member of the Building Committee of the Temple located on Ansel Road and East 105th Street. Moss was a member of the Bratenahl Village Council from 1920 through 1931.
His service organizations included the Independent Order of B’nai B’rith, president of the Citizens League, plus he was one of the ten men who founded the Rotary Club of Cleveland. Social organizations included City, Excelsior, Mid-Day and Oakwood clubs.
Florence lived at Haysmar until her death on August 9, 1962. Herman died on March 6, 1963.