Frederick Goff - Instramental in Bratenahl's Development
9929 Lake Shore Boulevard
Frederick Goff emerged into the bright glare of publicity during his period as the major of Glenville. He was awakened one night at 11:00 by a crowd of earnest citizens who demanded that he consent to run for mayor on a platform of suppressing gambling at the Glenville Race Track. After first refusing, he agreed just in time to get his name on the ballot.
As a candidate, Goff announced that all forms of gambling would be stopped if he were to be elected. He was elected and carried out his platform to the letter. The race track closed and moved to Warrensville Center Road.
A second appeal to his spirit and courage was made when induced to act as a mediator in the conflict between two sections of Glenville regarding the annexation of Glenville to Cleveland. Goff had forged a relationship with Liberty Holden and asked him to lead a drive to have Glenville on the Lake become a separate municipality.
Agreements were finally reached, and Goff resigned a mayor of Glenville on October 31, 1904, when Bratenahl became independent.
Frederick Harris Goff was born on December 15, 1858, in Blackberry, Illinois, to Frederick C. and Catherine Brown Goff. At age five, he came to Cleveland with his older brother in a boxcar they shared with a horse, a prized family possession his parents asked them to guard on the journey.
Goff attended Cleveland Public Schools and graduated from Central High School. He worked his way through the University of Michigan and graduated in 1881 with a Bachelor of Philosophy degree. He then worked as a law librarian in the Cleveland Law Library while studying evenings for admission to the Cuyahoga Court bar. He was admitted to the Ohio bar in June 1883 and started a solo practice. In 1884, he entered the first of a series of law partnerships working primarily in corporate law, specializing in reorganization and financial problems.
Goff married Frances Southworth on October 16, 1894. Frances was born on January 16, 1864, to a family of Western Reserve pioneers. She attended Vassar College, graduating in 1886. The Goffs had three children: Fredericka “Freda” (Waterworth), William Southworth, and Frances (Thoburn).
Frances Thoburn remembers her grandmother, Mrs. Goff, driving her Baker Electric car all around town. She sometimes picked up Frances and her brother, David, from school on rainy days and would let them see the car up her driveway. The steering wheel was like a boat tiller, and it was very easy to maneuver the car while standing beside her. She loved her Baker Electric car and never learned to drive a gasoline-powered car.
Two years after getting married, Goff joined forces with a corporate law firm headed by Virgil Kline, which counted among its clients John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil Company of Ohio.
In 1907, he represented the Cleveland Electric Railway Company in negotiations with Mayor Tom L. Johnson that put an end to the City’s notorious “streetcar wars.”
He resigned from Kline, Carr, Tolles & Goff, the predecessor of Jones Day, to accept appointment as president of the Cleveland Trust Company on June 8, 1908. He established new rules of operation that improved the bank’s image and its financial position; these rules included no loans to directors, a continuous daily audit, and new safeguards for assets.
He was also vice-president of the Cleveland Terminal & Valley Railroad Company and the Cleveland, Lorain & Wheeling Railroad Company. At the time of his retirement from the practice of law, he was president of the Cleveland Bar Association.
As a lawyer and banker helping Clevelanders plan their estates, he worried that many clients were leaving money to causes that would scarcely outlive them, such as the fight against yellow fever. He admired client John D. Rockefeller whose business and foundations pioneered research.
Goff hatched the idea of a “community trust” to give clients some use and control of their gifts during their lifetimes. His vision was to pool the charitable resources of Cleveland’s philanthropists, living and dead, into a single, significant, and permanent endowment for the betterment of the City. Community leaders would then forever distribute the interest that the trust’s resources would accrue to fund “such charitable purposes as will best make for the mental, moral, and physical improvement of the inhabitants of Cleveland.”
From that revolutionary idea, he convinced the Cleveland Trust board to adopt a resolution and Declaration of Trust creating the Cleveland Foundation on January 2, 1914, to divvy up gifts according to the continual study of the changing needs of the city and area. Within weeks, the foundation began reshaping the way community members care for one another not just in greater Cleveland, but around the nation and the world.
Goff was a director of the Plain Dealer Publishing Company and the trustee of the Holden estate. Holden, in turn, made one of the first gifts to Goff’s new Cleveland Foundation. Also, Goff was a director of White Sewing Machine, Sherwin-Williams, National Acme, Equitable Life Assurance Society, Island Creek Coal Company, American Zinc, Lead & Smelting, Baltimore & Ohio Railway, International Acceptance Bank, and the Cleveland, Painesville & Eastern Railway.
During World War I, Goff served on the Mayor’s Advisory War Committee and was appointed by President Woodrow Wilson as vice chairman of the War Finance Corporation’s capital issues committee. He served as a director or officer in railroad, manufacturing, and service companies.
By the time of his death, Goff helped the Cleveland Trust Bank more than quintuple its assets and had become the country’s sixth-largest bank.
Goff was a Republican and a member of the Unitarian Church. He was a charter member of The Country Club and held memberships in the Rowfant and Union clubs.
Frederick Goff died in Lakeside Hospital on March 14, 1923, from complications of surgery for bowel cancer. A year after his death, The Cleveland Foundation appointed Frances to the board. She served until her resignation in 1942. Frances Goff died on July 12, 1956, at her Bratenahl home and is buried alongside Frederick in Lake View Cemetery.