Theodore Thoburn - Investment Banker
10125 Lake Shore Boulevard
Theodore Thoburn became a partner in the brokerage and investment banking firm of Hayden, Miller & Co. in 1936 and held that position for sixteen years until his retirement in 1952.
Mr. Thoburn served many charitable and civic organizations concerned with welfare. He was a trustee of St. Luke's Hospital Association for several years before becoming president from 1952 to 1962. He was a trustee of Allegheny College. He was a trustee of Alta House and the Cuyahoga County Library, and the Family Service Association.
He was on the Bratenahl School Board from September 1942 through 1955.
Theodore Thoburn was born on February 4, 1893, in Calcutta, India. His father, Bishop James M. Thoburn was a Methodist missionary in India.
He came to the United States and attended Allegheny College in Meadville, Pennsylvania, graduating in 1914. During World War I, First Lieutenant Thoburn served with the Third Infantry and was wounded in action.
Theodore married Francis Goff on September 15, 1928. Francis was born on May 22, 1903, the daughter of Frederick and Frances Goff of 9929 Lake Shore Boulevard. Francis was a graduate of Hathaway Brown School and from Vassar College in 1926.
Francis was active in the Junior League and for two years as president of the Family Health Association. During World War II, Mrs. Thoburn served as a U. S. O. volunteer. She was also a volunteer worker at St. Luke's Hospital.
Theodore and Francis had three children: David Mills, born on January 31, 1930; Frances Southworth (Glover), born on February 29, 1932; and Theodore Goff, born on November 29, 1938. All three attended the Bratenahl School.
Theodore was a member of the Downtown Rotary Club, Tavern Club, Union Club, and Sons of the American Revolution and other organizations.
Frances died on July 9, 1954, and is buried in Lakeview Cemetery. Theodore remarried to Marjorie Warburton in 1955.
Theodore died on July 13, 1966 and is buried with Francis in Lakeview Cemetery.