Joan Johnson & Phillips Fewsmith
13405 Lake Shore Boulevard
During World War II, Joan Johnson, daughter of George and Helen Johnson, was a staff assistant and later in charge of an Aero Club at the airbase near Cambridge, England. The Aero Clubs were one of the new developments of the American Red Cross overseas. These clubs were for American flyers to go for rest and recreation during their leaves.
Joan Johnson had complete charge of the management of a club. It was a piece of home in a foreign land. Joan’s letters home told her parents how much the Red Cross meant to the servicemen. “I think they just like to talk to an American girl,” said Joan modestly.
Joan had been overseas since the spring of 1943 and had served in many assignments. The Red Cross uniform, according to her, was an open invitation to everything the English had to offer. She seldom took off the uniform in favor of civilian clothes. One time when she had it on, she was even able to buy some fresh eggs.
Joan was born August 6, 1917, to George and Helen Johnson who lived at 13405 Lake Shore Boulevard. She attended Bratenahl School through grade six and went on to graduate from Laurel School in 1937 and attended the Lowthorpe School of Landscape Architecture at Groton, Massachusetts.
After World War II, Joan married Phillips Fewsmith on May 11, 1946. Phillips was born on December 2, 1919. His father, Joseph, was cofounder of the Meldrum & Fewsmith advertising agency.
Phillips graduated from University School and attended Colgate University and later graduated from the University of Missouri School of Journalism. The couple had two children: Phillips Jr. and Joan born on April 3, 1950 and died eight months later.
In July 1969, Phillips became manager of the public relations department of the New York operations of the Griswold-Eshleman advertising company.
Joan belonged to the Junior League
Joan died on December 10, 2003. Phillips died on October 14, 2004. Both were buried in Lake View Cemetery.