Charles Bulkley - Real Estate Investor
11475 Lake Shore Boulevard
Charles Henry Bulkley was born near Albany, New York, on September 26, 1843. He was the son of Henry G. Bulkley, and a descendant of Reverend Peter Bulkley, a Congregational minister, who gave the first library to Harvard College. Charles’s sister, Delia Elizabeth Bulkley, married Liberty Holden and lived at 8907 Lake Shore Boulevard.
His family moved to Kalamazoo, Michigan from New York. He entered college in 1859 but remained less than two years. He came to Cleveland in 1861 and entered the law office of Judge J. P. Bishop as a student. Soon afterward, he engaged in the real estate business and became the agent of the United States Mortgage Co., handling millions of dollars.
While in Kalamazoo, Charles married Roberta Eugenie Johns. She was born on July 1, 1847. They had one son, Robert Johns, born on October 8, 1880.
Bulkley became very wealthy by acquiring real estate and made himself a civic leader in Cleveland with a wide range of financial and other interests. He was involved in newspaper publishing and banking. He raised money for Western Reserve University and the construction of a theater.
When the park commission was created, Mr. Bulkley was made its president. He was in charge of the real estate of the late William J. Gordon, a director of the National Bank of Commerce, and of the Chamber of Commerce, and vice-president of the Plain Dealer Publishing Co. He was treasurer of the Union Club from 1878 to 1888, and president in 1888 and 1889.
Charles Bulkley died at his 2926 Euclid Avenue home on December 29, 1895, after a six-week illness. He was reportedly worth between two and three million dollars. Roberta died on November 17, 1920. Both are buried in Lake View Cemetery.