8907 Lake Shore Boulevard "Loch Hame"
Plat Nos. 631-01-001, 631-01-012, 631-01-013, 631-01-014 and 631-01-015
Sublot 8 in the Bratenahl Allotment
Liberty and Delia Holden acquired their Bratenahl homestead from William Gordon on June 10, 1881, the same day Gordon purchased it from Abel Fairbanks. There were two entrances to the property: one on Bratenahl Lane (East 88th Street and the other on Salisbury Avenue (Holden Lane).
The Holdens lived at 7809 Euclid Avenue and summered in the Fairbank’s frame home on the property before deciding to raze the frame home. They commissioned architect Charles Schweinfurth to design a sandstone-clad thirty-four room Tudor manor house to accommodate the seven Holden children.
Charles Frederick Schweinfurth was born on September 3, 1856, in Auburn, New York. His first architectural assignment in Cleveland was a grand stone mansion on Euclid Avenue for Sylvester Everett. By 1910, Schweinfurth had completed at least 15 residential designs for prominent and wealthy Clevelanders on Euclid Avenue’s “Millionaires’ Row” between East 12th and East 40th streets.
Significant commissions included the Union Club in 1905, and Trinity Cathedral & Parish House in 1907, which many critics and historians deem his most exceptional work. He designed several buildings on the early Adelbert and Mather college grounds.
Schweinfurth designed three other Bratenahl residences: the Salisbury home at 489 East 88th Street, Samuel Mather's Shoreby at 12023 Lake Shore Boulevard, and the Fuller home at 12817 Lake Shore Boulevard.
The home, completed in 1899, included a greenhouse and servants’ quarters. A Georgian coach house was built some years after completion of the main house. “Loch Hame” became their primary home after selling their Euclid Avenue home in 1905. The name, Loch Hame, was inspired by Liberty Holden's love of the poetry of Robert Burns.
The interior of the house had either mahogany or quartered oak woodwork. Mahogany doors throughout were two inches thick.
Windsor and Delia White took Loch Hame as their primary home on November 1, 1916, when they moved from 9432 Lake Shore Boulevard. During their residency, a large Georgian style garage was completed in 1924 to provide additional quarters for cars and staff. A greenhouse was also added. The current address is 9303 and 9305 Holden Lane.
Guerdon Stearns Holden, the youngest and only surviving son of Liberty and Delia Holden became the reluctant owner of Loch Hame on January 27, 1930, after the Whites decided to live all year in their Hunting Valley home. Guerdon had been happily residing at 10316 Brighton Road.
Refusing to sell to his relatives, Guerdon placed the property in the hands of a flamboyant realtor who ran ads cajoling the Village to permit the commercial use of the property out of gratitude for all the Holden family had done for the Village. As if this wasn't embarrassing enough, the realtor offered the property for sale in small parcels, so limited that the purchaser of the manor house would own neither entrance gate. By this time, any supposed debt owed to the family was forgotten in the general outrage which ensued.
Joseph and Margherita Baruzzi acquired the manor home on July 14, 1950. Mr. Baruzzi, his wife, his wife’s mother, his son, and the son’s wife and two daughters and their husbands plus two small children and two puppies all lived in the one house. As many as 64 persons may have occupied the home.
The fragmented land with its outbuildings went to a variety of buyers, and the house stood neglected. Repeated efforts by the village to enforce the code regarding the home’s occupancy proved futile. The western entrance to the Village, once it's most impressive and beautiful, never recovered.
The United States Government acquired the home on October 17, 1956, who demolished it to become part of the Nike Missile Site.