Allyn Harvey - President of Pittsburgh Steamship Company
9619 Lake Shore Boulevard
Allyn Harvey began work in 1894, serving in various capacities with Pickands Mather & Company. In 1901, he went to Pittsburgh Steamship Company’s headquarters in Duluth, Minnesota as an assistant to the general manager.
Allyn returned to Cleveland in 1903 when the headquarters moved there. He was named assistant general manager in 1904 and in 1916 he became vice president later being elected president in 1924.
Allyn Fitch Harvey, the younger brother of Perry Williams Harvey and a cousin of Melanie Cushing, was born on February 3, 1871, to Henry Allyn and Mary Cushing Harvey. He received his education in the Cleveland public schools and by a private tutor before going on to Yale and graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1893. He studied bookkeeping from 1893 to 1894.
Allyn never married and lived with his brother Perry at his cousin Melanie Cushing’s house at Breezy Bluff.
Allyn was vice-president and director of American Fabric Belting Co., director of Provident Steamship Co., and the Cleveland Folding Machine Co. He was chairman of the Lake Carriers Association, director of Canadian American Exploration Co., and director of Central National Bank.
He was a member of the Shipmaster’s Association, American Iron and Steel Institute, and trustee of Babies Dispensary Hospital. Social memberships included the Kitchi Gammi Club in Duluth, the Cedar Point Club in Toledo, and the Chagrin Valley, Hunt, Kirtland, Mayfield, Pepper Pike, Tavern, and Union clubs. He belonged to the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity and Scroll and Key Society
Allyn retired in December 1940 because of ill health. He died eight months later on October 22, 1941, and was buried in Crown Hill Cemetery and Mausoleum in Twinsburg, Ohio.