Kate Hanna Ireland Harvey
11801 Lake Shore Boulevard
Kate Hanna was born on December 26, 1871, to Howard Melville and Kate Smith Hanna Sr. Kate’s older sister, Gertrude, lived in the next house east and her younger brother, Howard, lived two houses east.
Kate was one of the three largest stockholders in the M. A. Hanna Company. In 1901, she founded the Visiting Nurse Association. In 1905, she helped to establish the Cleveland chapter of the American Red Cross. Kate’s other interests included Lakeside and University Hospitals Case Medical Center. She served on Lakeside’s Board of Lady Managers and as a trustee of University Hospitals and Babies and Children’s Hospital. She was also a leader in transforming the Hospital’s nursing program into the Western Reserve University School of Nursing, Cleveland’s first collegiate nursing school.
Kate attended Miss Porter’s School in Connecticut and Miss Heloise E. Hersey’s School in Boston. Kate married Robert Livingston Ireland Sr. on May 2, 1894. They had two children, Robert Livingston Ireland, Jr. “Liv” born on February 1, 1895, and Elizabeth (Poe) born on October 31, 1897.
Robert and Kate Ireland divorced in 1918. Kate remarried to Perry Williams Harvey on February 12, 1923. Perry had been living as a bachelor at his cousin Melanie Cushing’s Breezy Bluff home at 9619 Lake Shore Boulevard.
The 11801 Lake Shore Boulevard home was re-titled to Kate Hanna Harvey on March 14, 1923. Mrs. Perry Harvey’s social secretary was responsible for a payroll of one hundred and thirty people.
Perry Harvey died on May 24, 1932. Kate died on May 15, 1936. Both are buried in Pebble Hill Plantation Family Cemetery in Thomasville, Georgia.