12505 Coit Road
Plat No. 631-13-005
sublot 3 in the Gilbert, Coe and Shipherd Subdivision
Oliver and Ina Clay acquired the property from John and Minerva Shipherd on February 2, 1888.
William Mather acquired the property on February 14, 1915.
Charles Hickok acquired the property on April 18, 1916, and retained the architectural firm of Walker & Weeks to design the 4,000 square-foot home built on 1.23 acres.
Walker and Weeks was founded by Frank Ray Walker and Harry Weeks. Both men studied at MIT, where they received training in the Beaux-Arts tradition of classical design. They moved to Cleveland at the suggestion of John M. Carrere, a member of the Cleveland Group Plan Commission. Both men joined the firm of J. Milton Dyer before establishing their practice in 1911. As was often the case with architecture firms, Walker was the designer, while Weeks was primarily the businessman.
Walker & Weeks were known as specialists in bank buildings, completing 60 throughout Ohio. In Cleveland, however, they were better known for their design of major commercial, public, and religious structures in classical revival styles. A partial list of their major projects includes the Public Auditorium (1922), the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland (1923), the Cleveland Public Library (1925), the First Baptist Church in Shaker Heights (1929), St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Cleveland Heights (1929), and the Cleveland Municipal Stadium (1931). From 1926 on, the firm occupied a building of their design at 2341 Carnegie Ave.
The was a center hall brick colonial with a length-wise facade and a glassed-in sun porch. It contained four bedrooms and three bathrooms.
William McKinnie Green lived in the home in 1927.
George and Roberta Stamm acquired the home from the estate of Charles Hickok on February 11, 1946.
Ronald and Rita Gumbert acquired the home on January 5, 1953.
Joseph and Pauline Murray acquired the home on February 9, 1956.
Charles and Hariette Driggs acquired the home on April 12, 1957.
Carl and Elizabeth (Betty) Toth acquired the home on January 25, 1962.
Linda Toth inherited the home on April 18, 2001.