L. Dean Holden - 2nd Vice President of "The Plain Dealer"
11239 Lake Shore Boulevard
Liberty Dean Holden was born on February 7, 1859, the third of eight children born to Liberty and Delia Holden.
In 1892, he married Virginia Mary Hawley, daughter of the late R. K. Hawley, owner of the Hawley House, a distinguished hotel where Lincoln and other noted visitors to Cleveland stayed.
Virginia was born on January 24, 1872, in Maryland. She was a member of the Colonial Dames of America and one of the founders of the Cleveland Garden Center. Dean and Virginia had one son, Dean Hawley, born on November 26, 1901
Dean became second vice-president of the Plain Dealer Publishing Company when his father acquired the newspaper in 1885. In addition, he was the first vice-president of the Hollenden Hotel Company, president of the Cleveland Sawmill and Lumber Company, president of the Cleveland-Sarnia Sawmills Company. And vice-president of the Detroit Hotel Company.
Mr. Holden was an active member of the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce. Social clubs included the Country, Euclid, Roadside, Tavern, and Union clubs. He was one of the founders of the Cleveland Athletic Club in addition to being a founding member of the Gentlemen’s Driving Club and president of the Four-in-Hand Club.
Toward the end of January 1906, while returning from a trip to Mexico, Mr. Holden experienced an acute attack of appendicitis. He was brought to Cleveland and an operation was performed on January 29, 1906, from which he rallied successfully. For a few days, his condition improved, then he contracted typhoid fever. He continued to grow steadily worse until he died on February 14, 1906, at Lakeside Hospital from heart failure caused by typhoid fever.
Dean Holden’s funeral service was held at his Bratenahl home. Pallbearers were Alva Chisholm, Frederick Goff, Albert Ingalls, Robert Ireland, Charles Ricks, and S. S. Smith. The body was placed in a vault at Lakeview Cemetery.
Virginia died on March 12, 1946, in New York City. She was interred with her husband in Lake View Cemetery.