Early Settlers

Charles Coit

Lake Shore Boulevard
Charles Coit
Charles Coit

Charles Coit was born on October 14, 1820 in Medina County to Henry H. and Mary Coit.  When a young man, Charles and his brother William were sent to Norwich, Connecticut to attend school. They returned to Ohio to attend Shaw Academy and Western Reserve University. After completion of his education, Charles spent several years traveling, having made a trip to Iowa on horseback.

Upon returning to Cleveland, he cleared a tract of eighty acres, beautified the grounds and built a home. His place became visited in the summers by those seeking a cool and shady resort.

In 1876, he built a hotel at the northwest corner of Lake Shore Boulevard and Eddy Road, called Coit House. Soon after, the hotel burned to the ground. In 1880 he built another hotel less than a quarter mile from the lake, and less than a half mile from the St. Clair street car line. There were few places on Lake Erie so well located with more lovely scenery and surroundings, or with better accommodations.

Charles was a Republican and a member of the Presbyterian Church. He died on July 8, 1907 and is buried in East Cleveland Township Cemetery.