9913 Lake Shore Boulevard "Wayside"
Plat No. 631-02-004
Sublot 6 in the James H. Salisbury Subdivision
Frank and Gladys Dangler received the French Manor chateau-style stucco home on July 1, 1921, as a wedding present from Gladys’s father, Walter Cottingham. The bride’s father had split subplot six east of his own in half with 9913 fronting on Lake Shore Boulevard. The house was situated on over an acre and a half with a lake view and tall, shading trees.
The entrance had a large welcoming ironworks on either side of the door with iron grillwork on the windows above. Inside featured a large, tiled vestibule and spacious center hall. A library was to the rear of the entrance and the living room to the right of the entrance. Off the kitchen were a pantry and a servant’s dining room. There were five bedrooms, four and a half bathrooms, and two maid’s rooms with a bathroom. Initially, garages were on property across the street. A garage by the house was a later addition.
Alice Brayton, the granddaughter of William Bingham and niece of Charles Bingham, acquired the home on October 17, 1942.
Peter Greenough acquired the home on May 10, 1955, after their previous home at 501 East 88th Street, formerly that of Peter’s aunt, Roberta Bole, was torn down to make way for the Lakeland Freeway. A beautiful French A provincial mantle transferred to the new home. Greenough modernized the kitchen, the heating system, and the master bathroom, as well as establishing seven telephone lines.
Meacham and Robin Hitchcock acquired the home on March 1, 1961, after Greenough moved to the Boston area.
Thomas and Suzanne Higgins acquired the home on May 1, 1987.
Sherrod and Judy Morehead acquired the home on May 15, 1998.