298 Corning Drive
Plat No. 631-05-003
Standard Land Company sublot 2
The home is listed in the Ohio Historic Inventory
Claiborne and Mary Pirtle acquired the lot from The Standard Land Company on January 19, 1917. Bonhard & Parsson designed and built the 5,900 square-foot Tudor estate on a 39,204 square-foot lot completed in 1920.
Bohnard and Parsson were active between 1905 and 1932, with principles William A. Bohnard and Raymond Parsson. Initially, their offices were in the Chamber of Commerce Building, later moving to 1900 Euclid Avenue. The firm was mainly known for residential architecture in the Cleveland suburbs of Lakewood and Cleveland Heights.
Bohnard & Parsson designed three other Bratenahl residences: the Herman Vail home at 9448 Lake Shore Boulevard, the Dean Holden home at 11239 Lake Shore Boulevard, and the Ingalls home at 11908 Lake Shore Boulevard.
A splendid gallery entrance hall with barrel ceiling, exquisite plaster details, crystal wall sconces provided access to the main rooms and elevator. The living room had herringbone wood floors, decorative ceiling medallion, fireplace with intricate wood details, bay window, paneled walls, leaded windows & a door leading to a deck. A paneled library with an unusual fireplace, floor to ceiling bookshelves with ladder, two walls of leaded windows was off of the hall. The formal dining room provided access to the deck and kitchen.
An impressive staircase led to the second floor. The master bedroom suite consisted of a bedroom with a fireplace, separate sunroom, and in-suite bath. Four bedrooms, each with a private bathroom and laundry room, completed the 2nd floor. The third floor provided abundant storage.
The lower level consisted of a recreation room with a fireplace, a beamed ceiling and a slider to a secluded deck, two half bathrooms, a bonus laundry room, and added storage. Other features included a separate two-car garage with a bedroom and a full bath.
Abram and Helen Garfield acquired the home on January 14, 1958, following the death of Mary Pirtle. Garfield closed up their mansion at 9718 Lake Shore Boulevard in 1947 and moved to Cleveland Heights. He missed Bratenahl and returned to Bratenahl and died one year later in 1958.
Anthony and Winifred Antonelli acquired the home on December 1, 1960.
Elliot and Virginia (Molly) Ludvigsen acquired the home on June 8, 1962.
Robert Baker and Carl MacDonald acquired the home on July 1, 1975.
Irvin and Elin Leonard acquired the home on September 27, 1994.