12609 Lake Shore Boulevard
Plat No. 631-08-002
Eastern half of sublot 35 in the Gilbert, Coe and Shipherd Subdivision
Eliza Hawgood acquired the property from Emily Franklin, widow of Benjamin Franklin, on January 20, 1908, and built a home designed by Frank D. Skeel.
Richard and Elsie Grant acquired the property from Harry Hawgood and Helen Hawgood (unmarried), heirs to Eliza Hawgood, on August 10, 1911.
Henry Dalton acquired the home from the Grants on September 15, 1928. Dalton razed the house and added the property to his at 12611 Lake Shore Boulevard.
It’s hard to imagine that a house existed between 12521 and 12611 Lake Shore Boulevard. Stepping stones and a lamppost have been found in the garden as reminders of the proximity of homes almost a century ago and a forgotten piece of Bratenahl history.