Homes Current

12016 Lake Shore Boulevard

Plat No. 631-22-003

The home is listed in the Ohio Historic Inventory

12016 Lake Shore Boulevard
12016 Lake Shore Boulevard

Charles and Bertha Gale acquired the property on the southwest corner of Coit Road and Lake Shore Boulevard from Caroline and Mary Coit, both unmarried, and Charles and Emelia Coit, husband, and wife, on June 21, 1902.

William H. Smith acquired the property from Charles and Bertha Gale on July 24, 1919.

Jay Chandler and Edith McLaughlan, prominent in Cleveland society, were influenced to move to Bratenahl by their friends, Charles and Eleanor Strong, and became the owners of the home on February 15, 1924. They hired the architectural firm of Small & Rowley to enlarge the house, beginning with a new hexagonal entrance.

Architect Philip Lindsley Small was born in Washington, D.C., on July 18, 1890. He was raised in Springfield, Ohio, and moved to Cleveland in 1904. His education included Adelbert College of Western Reserve University and M.I.T., where he graduated in 1915. He began practicing architecture in Cleveland in 1920.

In 1921, he teamed up with a childhood friend, Charles Rowley, to form the firm of Small & Rowley. They were best known for their work for the Van Sweringens, including Shaker Square, Moreland Court Apartments, and Daisy Hill.  Small and Rowley dissolved the partnership in 1928, and Small formed a new firm, Philip Small & Associates doing work almost exclusively for the Van Swerigens.

The addition included enlarging the living room to forty feet. The living room had twin marble fireplaces at either end with bookcases flanking one and the other more formal in tone.

The thirty-foot dining room, sunroom, and the loggia overlooking the swimming pool were new. The dining room featured a large fireplace imported from Italy and a beamed ceiling and paneling with hand-carved inlaid rosettes. Elegant wall sconces were mounted ten feet from the floor in the high-ceilinged room. The sunroom was a step down from the dining room and featured black and white marble floor and elegant wrought-iron filigree separating the two rooms.

A curved stairway led to the second floor containing a total of seven bedrooms and five bathrooms. A master bedroom suite and servant quarters were added. The master bathroom had hand-painted closet doors, and the master bedroom had a lovely fireplace.

To the rear of the house was an enclosed loggia, overlooking the pool containing dressing rooms, shower, and lavatory.

David and Dorothy Scholl purchased the home on January 2, 1942, from the Mclaughlin's playboy son. In 1939, the Scholl’s parents and sister lived with them and occupied the servant’s quarters. They divided the kitchen providing them with their complete apartment that included a charming, airy sitting room overlooking the garden and secluded, bricked patio.

The Scholl home was well remembered for its Fourth of July Garden Fete, held around the pool with its large pots of geraniums and petunias. Elegance was manifest throughout with particular attention to food, flowers, china, crystal, and candlelight at dusk. This was an exclusive Bratenahl affair with no more than forty guests attending.

Lawrence and Marie Ogrinc acquired the home on July 29, 1959, after David Scholl retired. When the Ogrinc’s first lived there, their parents also made use of the converted servant quarters. Later the kitchen was restored to its original style.