William Hallaran - Internal Medicine and Cardiac Specialist
9925 Lake Shore Boulevard
Dr. William R. Hallaran was an internal medicine and cardiac specialist who maintained offices in the Carnegie Medical Building at East 105th Street and Carnegie Avenue.
Dr. Hallaran went into the U.S. Army Medical Corps with the Lakeside Unit from University Hospitals in 1942. He reached the rank of major while in Melbourne, Australia and served as the commanding officer of the first portable hospital in New Guinea. He later served in Texas until he was discharged in 1945.
William Richard Hallaran was born on December 27, 1904, in Ferozepur, India where his father was stationed with the British Army. His mother’s family were medical missionaries in India.
William moved from India to Wooster, Ohio at age twelve after his father died. He graduated from the College of Wooster in 1925. While teaching biology at American University in Assiut, Egypt he read a biography of Dr. William Osler, the first professor of medicine at Johns Hopkins Medical School. The book inspired him to become a doctor.
He graduated from Western Reserve University medical school in 1932, then interned in Boston, and a residency at University Hospitals.
Hallaran married Mary Louise Garfield, also known as Polly, born on July 5, 1903, to Abram and Sarah Garfield and grew up at 9718 Lake Shore Boulevard. William and Polly had four children: Sarah Newton born on October 1, 1934, Ray born on October 1, 1934, William Garfield, born on January 2, 1938, and Michael Terrence (Terry) born on April 25, 1947. All the children attended Bratenahl School.
Dr. Hallaran was a photographer who took up the hobby as a young man in Switzerland. He was an expert on African violets and maintained a herb garden. He also enjoyed model railroads made wood objects on a lathe. He retired in 1972 but continued to work as a clinician at University Hospitals.
Dr. Hallaran died of congestive heart failure at his Cleveland Heights home on September 18, 1991. Mary Louise died shortly after on December 16, 1991. Both are buried in Lake View Cemetery.