Stanley Roediger - Councilman for 30 Years
12401 Coit Road
Stanley Roediger was appointed to the Planning Commission in 1960. During this period, serious consideration was being given to the future of Bratenahl, and the role development should play in that future. He was involved in the developing and implementing the zoning code, and then the building of Bratenahl Court and then in the construction of Bratenahl Place One and Two.
Roediger was elected to Bratenahl Village Council in 1961 and served for 32 years from 1962 through 1993. As a councilman, he was chairman of the Public Improvements Committee and, at times, a member of other committees. His expertise in building and construction was of significant benefit when dealing with the infrastructure of the Village.
Stan personified the many residents who found time to participate in the operation and management of the Village. He was never too busy to attend another meeting or give his advice and recommendations.
After a carpenter apprenticeship with his father, Stanley formed the Roediger Construction Inc. in 1945. His impressive background included numerous projects in the medical field, namely St. Vincent Charity, Parma General, Huron Road, Hillcrest, Cleveland Clinic, Mt. Sinai, and Women’s General hospitals. He also helped to build Notre Dame College of Ohio, John Carroll University, Ursuline College, and several local churches.
Mr. Roediger became an instrument-rated pilot and flew his plane to job sites around the country. He was also an accomplished boater and a member of the Lakeside Yacht Club. His flying and boating interests provided him access to his summer cottage on Pelee Island and a winter home at Edisto Island, South Carolina.
Stanley Roediger was born November 9, 1910, to William and Nancy Roediger. He was a graduate of Shaw High School and Fenn College. Before World War II, Stanley was a sergeant with the Mounted 107th Cavalry A Troop. During the war, he worked for the E.F. Hauserman company building landing mats for the island airfields in the Pacific.
Stanley married Rita Masek in 1941. She was born June 10, 1916, and a graduate of Notre Dame College of Ohio. They had six children: Barbara (Notash), born on June 30, 1942, Charla (Bernstein), born on November 9, 1944, Ruth (Flaherty), born on September 18, 1946, Mary Kay, William, born on November 19, 1950, and Stanley I. Jr., born November 8, 1952.
He served on the board of directors of East Cleveland Savings and Loan and served on the board of the Huron Road Hospital and Notre Dame College of Ohio.
The family had a zest for living, and some of the liveliest times involved their pony, Skippy, who was a notorious village character. He often followed the children to school and would only respond when called by one of the children. He escaped numerous times, even to running on the freeway. On one July 4, he was bitten by another pony. No veterinarians were open to give a tetanus shot. One of the girl’s boyfriends, a surgical intern at St. Vincent Charity Hospital, was called for help. He reluctantly agreed to service Skippy.
Stanley died on January 1, 1998. Rita died on June 22, 2014, and buried alongside Stanley in Calvary Cemetery.