John Hogg - Fifth Mayor of Bratenahl
10632 Lake Shore Boulevard
John Hogg was elected in November 1935 to become the fifth mayor of Bratenahl, replacing Edward Foote who retired as mayor after twenty years of service to the Village. Hogg served for three years until his death in 1939. Before becoming the mayor, he had served as a member of the Bratenahl Board of Education.
John Hogg was born in 1841 in Earlston, Scotland. He immigrated to the United States in 1865 and entered the employ of the W. J. Gordon & Co., the largest grocery establishment in Ohio. William Gordon is probably best known in Cleveland as deeding the 122-acre Gordon Park to the City Cleveland upon his death in 1892. John Hogg acted as Gordon Park superintendent for sixteen years until 1908.
John attended Western Reserve University Law School and practiced law for thirty-five years. His offices were in the Williamson Building in Cleveland.
John was president of the Cleveland Presbyterian Union, a charter member of the Glenville Presbyterian Church and an elder of the church for 40 years. He was a former treasurer of the bar association and a member of the City Club.
John died on January 20, 1939, in his Bratenahl home after a three-month illness and buried in Lake View Cemetery.