Charles Schuyler Britton - President of Britton-Gardner Printing Company
10211, 10221, 10229 and 10311 Lake Shore Boulevard
Charles Britton was the president of Britton-Gardner Printing Company, founded in 1887, that published Cleveland Town Topics. Although not overly political, Town Topics served its elite readership with a moderate dose of Republicanism. It was an early automobile enthusiast publication, giving the horseless carriage regular coverage as early as 1901. During the next few years, automobile ads pumped its annual Automobile Show issues to more than 50 pages. Circulation, however, was never more than a few thousand.
He was responsible for publishing, in 1903, Country Homes of Cleveland Businessmen, a record of the significant residences of the turn of the century. He included his own home.
Charles Britton was elected to Bratenahl Village Council in 1906. He served for 25 years until he resigned in 1930.
Charles Schuyler Britton was born on August 21, 1860, in Cleveland to Joseph and Salome Britton. He was educated in both Cleveland public schools and private schools.
Charles married Caroline "Carrie" Beckwith in Cleveland on October 20, 1881. They had one son; Karl Beckwith born on February 26, 1883. Caroline died on September 24, 1893, at age 31.
Charles then married Ann Card in Milwaukee on April 5, 1899. Charles and Ann had three children: Victoria (Bushnell) born on May 24, 1900, Carl B., Philip Schuyler born on February 21, 1904, and Brigham born on June 20, 1907.
Britton was among those Clevelanders whose sleigh racing on Euclid Avenue led old residents in later years to wonder where the police were at the time.
Charles was also president of Carroll Realty Company, Rockwell Building Company, vice-president of Motoreria Company and director of Lemur Company. He was a member of The Country, Kirtland Country, Pepper Pike, Tavern and Union clubs.
Charles suffered from a heart ailment for many years and died at his 10211 Lake Shore Boulevard home on July 8, 1937. His wife Ann, who survived him by over twenty-three years, died at her home on November 5, 1960. She was known to the entire Village as Granny Britton. Both are buried at Lake View Cemetery.