13625 Lake Shore Boulevard
Plat No. 631-10-002
Sublot 2 in the W. H. Osborn Subdivision
This home is listed in the Ohio Historic Inventory
John D. Rockefeller acquired the property from William and Mary Osborn on August 7, 1874.
Abeyton Realty Company acquired the property on April 30, 1909.
Charles and Elizabeth Cole acquired the property on October 22, 1910, and built this flat-roofed 3,300 square-foot home designed by architect John Elliott in 1920.
Charles Cole was dock superintendent for the M. A. Hanna Co. and former marshal of Bratenahl.
The architectural firm of Knox & Elliott was active in Cleveland from 1893-1925. After William Knox died in 1915, the firm continued under John Elliot until 1925. The firm’s work consisted predominantly of commercial and industrial buildings, apartments, and some churches and private residences.
Flat roofs covered with tar and gravel were not typical, but they cost less than a gabled roof and caused much less trouble. The architect felt that it was a matter of proportion to make the house as attractive as any other.
The original design of the Cole residence was to be three stories in height. Rooms for servants, with a bath, were finished on the upper floor. The house was of tile and stucco, in pure white, with concrete columns for the porch. The finished house had four bedrooms and 3-½ bathrooms. In addition, the property included a completely furnished beach house and swimming pool.
Knox and Elliott designed the home to face the east, with the north end toward the lake. A central hall extended from front to back of the first floor. The living room occupied the entire north end. The dining room was to the left of the hall opening through French doors extending across the south end of the house. The kitchen and service rooms were in the rear of the dining room. The second floor contained five bedrooms.
Clarence and Esther Wood acquired the home on March 28, 1938. Clarence died six months after becoming the eighth Mayor of Bratenahl in January 1958.
John and J. L. Adam acquired the home on July 1, 1959.
Jacqueline Horn acquired the home on September 30, 1971.
Gerald and JoAnna Kurland acquired the home on December 30, 1971.
Gary Dee Gilbert and Liz Richards acquired the home on October 8, 1976.
Thomas and Edith Valore acquired the home on August 5, 1981.
Thomas and Claudia Valore acquired the home on December 6, 1986.