12720 Lake Shore Boulevard
Plat No. 631-09-305
Charles Schweinfurth designed this Tudor-Elizabethan brick and stucco small fortress as the gardener’s cottage for the Jay Morse mansion across the street at 12725 Lake Shore Boulevard. The cottage was completed in 1905.
The interior of the house, with its hardwood floors and handsome oak woodwork, is unusually well-appointed for a gardener’s cottage. The living room is large with a wood-burning fireplace. There is a lovely dining room, modernized kitchen, and pantry with wood cabinets. Everything has been beautifully done to preserve the style of the era.
The second floor has three large bedrooms and a bathroom. The closets are ample. In the bathroom, the tub has been modernized and a shower installed.
George and Emma Martin acquired the home from the Seville Morse estate on January 20, 1928.
James and Mary Rand acquired the home on February 26, 1948, from Mary Rand when they acquired 12725 Lake Shore Boulevard. The home was used for Rand's research work.
Richard and Kathy Browning rented the cottage from the Rands as newlyweds.
Merriman Construction acquired the home on September 22, 1972, as part of the land for construction of the Oak Shore Green condominium development. The home became part of the condominium development because it did not have enough front footage for Bratenahl’s residential restrictions. It, therefore, gained the title of Bratenahl’s oldest condominium.
Wayne and Betty Nelson acquired the townhome on January 28, 1976.
Paul and Sarah Kesselem acquired the townhome on May 28, 1985.
Kent and Rosalyn Hedman acquired the townhome on June 29, 1988.