10300 Lake Shore Boulevard
Plat No. 631-15-025
Ethel Kingsbacher and Florence Moss received the property from the estate of Belle Marks on September 8, 1938. Ethel then transferred the property to her sister, Florence, on September 10, 1938.
Jerome and Janet Gross acquired part of the original Haysmar property on the southside of Lake Shore Boulevard on November 1, 1940. They commissioned Munroe W. “Monte” Copper to design this colonial home in 1941. Some have called the “wedding house” while others thought of it as the "Beaver Cleaver house," from the television series, Leave it to Beaver, which aired from 1957 to 1963.
Munroe W. Copper Jr. was born in Philadelphia and was a 1918 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania School of Architecture. He came to Cleveland in 1920 to work for Walker and Weeks, where he worked on plans for the Cleveland Public Library and the Federal Reserve Bank.
He later worked for architects Howell & Thomas. In 1924, he opened a practice with Donald O. Dunn, which lasted until Dunn died in 1932. He was a member of the firm of Copper and Conrad from 1934 to 1940. He was a member of the firm of Copper, Wade & Peck in 1945, later Copper & Wade and finally Copper, Wade, Copper & Rhaynes. He specialized in elegant traditional residences in the Georgian and French style. He designed over 2,000 homes, 59 churches, 11 restaurants, and nine commercial buildings.
A 28-by-17 living room featured scroll-topped mahogany floor-to-ceiling bookcases at each end, two of which flanked a modest fireplace. The room was two steps down from a slate-floored foyer where there were stairs to the second level, a powder room, and a short hallway that led to a service entrance, garage, back stairs, and kitchen.
The dining room, a step up from the living room, could be separated by folding doors of solid, ruddy mahogany. Like all doors in the house, they had a clean, spare look a la Frank Lloyd Wright. Double doors opened to a patio/porch from the dining room.
There were four corner bedrooms on the second floor that share connecting baths. The 19-by-17 master bedroom had a little airing porch. A dorm-like room, bedroom, and bathroom were on the third floor. The two-car attached garage had a room above off the landing midway on the stairs to the second level.
Dr. Richard and Tamzin Hutchinson acquired the home on March 21, 1969.
Kathleen Keogh acquired the home on December 9, 1992.
David Bishop acquired the home on August 12, 1997.
Peter Cavanagi and Ann Vandervelde acquired the home on August 29, 2002.
Donald McGrath and Virginia Casey acquired the home on April 18, 2006.
Tachelle and Shinard Banks acquired the home on June 5, 2018.