10201 Lake Shore Boulevard
Plat No. 631-03-010
Part of subplots 13 and 14 in the L. Haldeman Allotment
Edwin and Francis Moreland acquired the property from Mary Foote on November 10, 1945.
Beldon Realty Company acquired all of subplot 13 and part of subplot 14 on September 3, 1954. William H. Dornback, Jr., David Dornback’s brother was president.
David and Ann Dornback purchased the garage of the house at 10207 Lake Shore Boulevard on April 19, 1955, and began a complete renovation of the structure to adapt it for a home. The original building had room for two cars, a 250-gallon gas tank, a storage room overhead and an adjoining tool room. The north wall was trimmed with Philadelphia planking, an unusual material choice for a garage. It served as inspiration for the interior wall covering.
The south wall had a fireplace of bastard granite brought in from Port Jervis, New York. Bastard granite is not a true granite but a rock formation resembling that of true granite. It is used mostly in wall construction. Bookshelves were installed on each side of the fireplace. Flooring throughout was random planks of red oak.
Remodeling included a second-floor bedroom, sitting room, and bath. The former tool shed became the kitchen.
The next phase involved adding a full dining room with a larger bedroom over it. In 1963, an attached garage with a loft was finished. A step-down den on the east side of the house, with another room above connected the master bedroom. Finally, the loft above the garage was converted to another bedroom and bath suite with its own separate entrance. The English cottage was completed in 1978.
The entrance is made through a small stone courtyard. The tiled entry leads directly to the kitchen overlooking the lake and park-like grounds. A handsome wrought iron light fixture comes from the men’s room of the old Dornback Furnace factory that was located at 45th Street and Superior Avenue.