Village Hall - 411 Bratenahl Road
Plat No. 631-18-007
Arrison and Mary Shotwell acquired five acres from William Bresie on December 22, 1865. They later purchased an additional 10 acres from James Fitch on August 13, 1896.
Haskins Realty Company acquired the property from Elizabeth, Victoria and George Gooding, Austin Shotwell, and Fremont Shotwell on June 2, 1902. On December 15, 1904, the Village Council took immediate steps to establish the Shotwell house as a town hall. Within a month, they had rented, wallpapered, and furnished the former home. The marshal was provided living quarters on the second floor as part of his compensation for law enforcement services.
In 1914, after years of leasing the property to the Village, Haskins Realty decided to place the property on the market. It gave the Village the first opportunity to purchase whatever part they might need. In January 1915, councilman Britton introduced an ordinance to issue bonds to acquire the property for building and equipping a town hall. The village council introduced another to issue bonds to acquire lands for park purposes.
On June 4, 1915, the Village engineer proceeded with the leveling of ground to make a baseball diamond with bases and backstops.
In 1916, architects P. E. Robinson and J. M. Miller prepared plans for a new town hall. They sent equests for sealed bids for furnishing the necessary labor and materials for constructing and equipping the town hall out in October.
Construction of a 2,600 square foot brick building was completed in 1918. The first floor contained the council chamber, clerk’s office, justice room, and headquarters for the police department. The jail occupied the rear of the building. The second floor provided living accommodations for the custodian.
During the remainder of World War I, the Shotwell house was filled with 28 sewing machines and used as a center for sewing 193,541 surgical dressings, 12,159 garments, and 5,064 knitted articles.
The Shotwell house entirely vacated in 1923. The Marshall disposed of all unused equipment and supplies belonging to the police department. The village solicited bids to raze the structure. In 1924, the Village council, after receiving a bid of $50, empowered the mayor to have the Shotwell house torn down.