Emery Holden Greenough
501 East 88th Street
Emery Holden Greenough was widely recognized as a patron of the arts as well as a gifted painter. She was also known as a skilled horticulturist, an amateur writer of humorous poetry, and a sponsor of many charitable works.
Like her sister, Roberta, who helped save the Dunham Tavern in Cleveland, Emery was instrumental in preserving another historical tavern, Gore Place in Waltham, Massachusetts. The property was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1970 in recognition of its architectural significance as a large-scale Federal-style country house.
With her brother and three sisters, Emery presented the Cleveland Museum of Art in 1929 with “The Holy Family with St. Margaret and St. John,” a Florentine Painting by Filipino Lippe, which was described at the time as the most important single painting ever presented to the museum.
Emery Holden was born on March 8, 1879, the sixth of eight children born to Liberty and Delia Holden. Emery attended Miss Mittelberger’s School in Cleveland and the Gilmore School in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In 1906, Ruth Kellogg introduced her brother to Gertrude while on a trip to Nassau. “Henry,” said Ruth, “meet your future wife.” Two years later, Emery married Henry Vose Greenough in a ceremony on the front lawn of Loch Hame. Henry was born on June 11, 1883. They had three children: Henry Voss Jr., born on April 4, 1912; Peter Bulkley, born on February 6, 1917; and Barbara (Bradley).
Henry was born on June 11, 1883. He was vice president of the Ludlow Manufacturing Association and Ludlow Sales Corporation, jute manufacturers.
Emery and Henry were members of the Chilton-Brookline Country, Concord Country, and Martha’s Vineyard Country Clubs.
Gertrude died of a stroke at her home in West Chop, Massachusetts, on July 17, 1953. Henry died on December 19, 1976. Both are buried in Mount Wollaston Cemetery in Quincy, Massachusetts.