Collamer 1850 - 1875
The original settlement known as Nine Mile Creek was established in 1812 when a tannery and gristmill were started by David Crocker near Euclid Ave., where Nine Mile Creek crossed.
In 1850, Judge Jacob Collamer was appointed postmaster of the district by President Zachary Taylor. The office took his name as the Collamer Post Office. It was inconvenient to call the community Euclid, being so near the township of the same name, so the community became unofficially identified as Collamer.
Collamer was just a section of the Township of East Cleveland that stretched from Lakeview on the west and Ivanhoe on the east. Bisected by Euclid Ave., Collamer was intersected by such roads as Noble, Taylor, and Lee to the south, and Doan, Shaw, and Collamer to the north.
Some of the earliest churches in the Western Reserve were established in Collamer. Because of the large number of ministers who came to reside there, the area was often referred to as Saints’ Row.
With a population of 1,000 inhabitants, Collamer showed in addition to churches, one academy, four stores, one post office, one doctor, two meat markets one cider mill, on shoe shop and one tannery.
By 1860, streetcar lines operated between Cleveland and Collamer via St. Clair Ave. The main axis of the village was Collamer Street (East 152nd Street).
The Toledo, Norwalk and Cleveland Railroad was chartered on March 7, 1850, to build from Cleveland west to Toledo finally forming the Cleveland and Toledo Railroad in 1853 to open a continuous line from Buffalo to Chicago in 1853. The beauty of the locations at the foot of the ridge was quickly observed by citizens of Cleveland and purchases were made especially around Collamer.
Here are the roundhouses of the Lake Shore Railway. The repair shops and roundhouses, the building of which began in 1873, were finished in 1875. In the latter year, a post office was established.