Charles Pratt - Chief Engineer of Cleveland City Parks Board
10322 Lake Shore Boulevard
Charles Pratt came to Cleveland as a civil and landscape engineer in 1898 and became Chief Engineer of the Cleveland City Parks Board. Pratt was known as one of the best landscape engineers in Ohio. He had technical supervision of all the construction work done on the public park system of Cleveland.
In 1900, when he left the park board, he designed the first "group plan" of public buildings for Cleveland that was recommended by the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce in 1902.
Pratt was elected to the first Bratenahl Village Council and resigned in 1906 after serving just one full year. He served as road commissioner and engineer for the village.
Around 1900, Platt was hired to layout Ambler Heights, 25 acres south of what is now North Park Boulevard, for marketing to an upscale clientele. He laid out a neighborhood with wide, gently-curving streets. Lots were generous and irregularly shaped to accommodate natural features.
Charles Wheeler Pratt was born in 1865 in Nashua, New Hampshire. Early education was in Boston public schools, followed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Upon graduation, in 1881, he entered the office of E.W. Bowditch in Boston that was engaged in waterworks and sewer construction until 1891.
Charles married Mary Fredricka Bailey on November 27, 1901. Mary filed for divorce with formal charges of gross neglect of duty on January 26, 1912. Charles and Mary had been separated for some time and the filling of the suit had been expected by few who knew her socially. There were no children. Charles did not contest the suit.
Before coming to Cleveland, Pratt had been a member of the Massachusetts National Guard. He was known as a golfer and for his interest in motoring. Social clubs included the Cleveland Yachting Club, the Country Club, and the Union Club