Bishop Edward Francis Hoban - Diocese of Cleveland
193 Bratenahl Road
Bishop Hoban was born June 27, 1878, in Chicago, Illinois, to William and Bridget Hoban. He was educated at St. Mary Seminary in Baltimore and ordained to the priesthood on July 11, 1903. Hoban graduated from Gregorian University in Rome in 1906 with a doctorate in philosophy and theology and became a professor and treasurer of the Chicago Quigley Preparatory College. He was appointed to the Chicago Diocesan Chancery staff, became chancellor in 1906, and auxiliary bishop of Chicago in 1921. In 1928, Hoban became bishop of Rockford, Illinois.
On November 14, 1942, Hoban became co-adjutor bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland, serving as an administrator with the right of succession to the ailing Archbishop Schrembs. He became bishop of Cleveland in 1945. Pope Pius XII elevated him to archbishop in 1951.
Hoban oversaw explosive growth in the diocese that more than doubled from the time of his arrival until his death. He was known for his boundless energy and organizational skills, establishing fifty-two new parishes since coming to Cleveland. He also had the diocese acquire land throughout Greater Cleveland for the eventual construction of new schools.
Education was a priority. Forty new elementary schools and ten high schools opened as well as the undergraduate seminary Borromeo was built.
Hoban died September 22, 1966, in Cleveland and buried in the crypt of St. John’s Cathedral.