Arthur Baldwin - Attorney, Garfield, MacGregor & Baldwin
9534 Lake Shore Boulevard
Arthur Douglas Baldwin was born on April 8, 1876, on Maui Island, Hawaii, to Henry and Emily Baldwin. He was heir to the missionary-founded firm of Alexander & Baldwin, which with Castle & Cooke, dominated landholding and ocean shipping to the islands. He attended Oakland High School. He prepared for college at the Hotchkiss School in Connecticut and later graduated with a B.A. degree from Yale University in 1898 and an LL.B. degree from Harvard University in 1901.
Arthur was introduced to Reba Williams by Abram Garfield, a friend of Arthur at Yale. Reba was the youngest daughter of Edward and Louise Williams. Reba grew up at 9534 Lake Shore Boulevard and received her education in Cleveland public schools, Miss Spenser’s school (Hathaway Brown), Miss Porter’s School in Farmington, Connecticut, and Miss Hersey’s school in Boston.
Arthur and Reba were married on June 17, 1902. They had six children: Henry, born on April 2, 1903; Louise (King), born on August 16, 1904; Frederick, born in 1905; Arthur born on March 3, 1909; Sarah (Hanger) born on March 7, 1911; and Lewis William born on January 29, 1914. They lived with their family of eight, as well as five servants.
Reba refused to leave her mother, so Arthur established a law practice in Cleveland. & Clark. In 1908 he organized the law firm of Crowell & Baldwin that dissolved in 1911. From 1911 to 1912, Baldwin served as a commissioner with Judge Daniel Fabst of Crestline, Ohio, to revise the Ohio laws relating to children.
From 1916 to 1927, he was a member of Garfield, MacGregor & Baldwin, with the senior member being James R. Garfield, son of President Garfield and brother of Abram Garfield. James had formerly been Secretary of the Interior under President Theodore Roosevelt in 1907.
On November 27, 1917, Baldwin received a commissioned as a first lieutenant in the 164th Field Artillery Brigade of the 89th Division during World War I and assigned to active duty at Camp Funston, Kansas. He was later promoted to Captain. Baldwin was a little more than five feet tall and not much more than a hundred pounds but was an inspiration to his men, who dubbed him “Pop.” He received an honorable discharge on May 31, 1919, and returned to Cleveland to continue law practice.
From 1927 to 1939, Baldwin was a member of Garfield, Cross, Daoust, Baldwin & Vrooman.
Mr. Baldwin was a member of the executive committee of the Sherwin-Williams Co., a director and legal counsel of the North American Electric Manufacturing Co. of Galion, Ohio, a director of the Land Title Guarantee & Trust Co., secretary of Workingmen’s Collateral Loan Company, and a director of the American Fabric and Belting Company.
Mr. Baldwin was a member of the Bratenahl School Board from 1910 to 1913. In 1912, he was an unsuccessful candidate on the Progressive ticket for State Representative.
He was chairman of the board of the Cleveland Hospital Service Association, a member of the Legal Aid Society of Cleveland, and a member of the Spies Committee for Clinical Research, affiliated with Northwestern University.
He was president of the Cleveland Hospital Council and secretary of the Survey Committee of the Cleveland Foundation. In addition to being chairman of the Western Reserve University board of trustees, Mr. Baldwin was a trustee of Babies’ and Children’s Hospital of the University Hospital.
In 1939, Mr. Baldwin received an honorary doctorate of humanities from Western Reserve University. In 1940, he was awarded the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce medal for distinguished service to Cleveland. A year later, he was given the Cleveland Community Fund distinguished service medal and was named Man of the Year by The Cleveland Press in 1954.
He was a member of the Nisi Prius Club. Other social memberships included the Country, Mayfield, Tavern, Union, and University Clubs. Baldwin was a dedicated horseman and a founder of the Cleveland Polo Club. He was instrumental in developing the Chagrin Valley Hunt Club.
Reba was a trustee for the Visiting Nurse Association, the Anti-Tuberculosis League, Babies’ Hospital, Phillis Wheatley Association, Hathaway-Brown School, St. Barnabas Guild of Nurses, and the Cleveland Institute of Music. She died on June 24, 1941.
After being in failing health for more than a year, Arthur died on March 9, 1955, at his Bratenahl home. He was buried next to Reba in Lake View Cemetery.