9619 Lake Shore Boulevard "Breezy Bluff"
Plat No. 632-02-001
Sublot 5 in the James H. Salisbury Subdivision
George and Sarah Benedict purchased 4.2 acres on the lake at the northeast corner of Louis Avenue (Lake Shore Boulevard) and Haldeman Avenue (Lake Shore Boulevard) from Mary Bratenahl on June 22, 1871.
The Benedicts built a comfortable, unpretentious two-story frame cottage with a pitched roof and wide side porch. The modest house served as a summer retreat from their 2824 Euclid Avenue home. The Benedicts entertained a great many guests for picnicking and swimming at their Glenville retreat.
Breezy Bluff passed by inheritance to George and Sarah’s daughters, Mary and Harriette, on October 28, 1905. Mary and her husband, William Crowell, continued to occupy it as a summer home.
The Benedict cottage burned to the ground in 1906.