12319 Lake Shore Boulevard "Harrywold"
Plat No. 631-08-005
Sublots 39 and 40 in the Gilbert, Coe and Shipherd Subdivision
Oliver Payne and his father, U.S. Senator Henry B. Payne, acquired the property from Samuel and Gertrude Coe on June 18, 1874.
Charles and Mollie Bingham who resided at 707 Euclid, changing to 2157 Euclid Avenue, were likely the first Euclid Avenue Millionaires’ Row family to establish a summer retreat in Collinwood. On June 15, 1888, Mollie’s bachelor brother, Colonel Oliver Hazard Payne, presented his sister with 15.719 acres of lakefront immediately east of Nine Mile Creek that they had acquired as a duck hunting preserve. The extensive grounds make the home seem almost isolated. A small wooded gully had a winding drive that repeatedly crossed a little creek and rustic bridges.
The Binghams retained Peabody & Stearns of Boston, who designed their Euclid Avenue home, to design a 35-room Elizabethan style country cottage based on sixteenth-century English squire homes, large enough to accommodate their four children, a German nanny and an assembly of dogs.
The home featured exposed end chimneys, enlarged Flemish gables, and arched door and window openings. There was a fireplace in every room. The estate had a swimming pool, greenhouse, stables and an interconnecting bridle path connecting with Samuel Mather’s Shoreby.
Following the death of Charles, the estate passed to the children, Elizabeth Blossom, Francis Payne Bolton, Henry Bingham, and William Bingham, on May 10, 1929. The estate sat empty for a few years.
Payne Bingham Co. acquired the property on February 27, 1931. The home eventually burned to the ground in 1932 leaving nineteen chimneys standing. The land remained unused for many years under the care of William and Anna Hawkins, the superintendents.
Shorelyn Realty Inc. acquired the property on August 1, 1948.
Doctors Clinic Foundation acquired the property on April 18, 1960.
John David and Robert Renner acquired the property on December 15, 1961.
Walter Oschek acquired the property on April 22, 1969.
Dale Winston acquired the property on June 16, 1981.
Southside Acreage Ltd. acquired 8-plus acres for Colony, a development of 19 lakeside homes.