10401 Lake Shore Boulevard
Plat No. 631-03-008
Sublots 2 through 8 in the L. Haldeman Subdivision
This home is listed in the Ohio Historic Inventory
Louis Grossman acquired the property from the estate of Levi Haldeman on May 17, 1898.
Lennox Realty acquired the property from Louis Grossman on July 25, 1901.
Henry Maynard Rees acquired the property from Lennox Realty on November 16, 1916. The estate had nine acres of land, fully improved with 600 feet of frontage and a fine beach. The Rees built a Georgian brick residence around 1924. The home’s two-story entrance includes a curved hand-carved stairway. Other features included a hand-carved teak wood fireplace in the living room, a handsome library, and a garden room. In total there were sixteen rooms. A caretaker’s cottage was built on Lake Shore Boulevard. Its stately Southern look earned the name “Tara on Lake Erie”.
The Rees family formerly occupied a large Georgian residence at 3612 Euclid Avenue. They disposed of that holding to develop the Bratenahl home.
Cornelia Rees, Henry’s widowed mother, acquired the property on September 15, 1920. Cornelia died on July 12, 1930, and Henry Maynard Rees again became the owner of the property.
Jacob and Phyllis Cox acquired the home from Henry Rees on February 15, 1939. The Cox family were neighbors of the Rees family. They had been one of the few remaining residents on “millionaires’ row” at 3411 Euclid Avenue.
Phyllis Cox received the property from the estate on June 9, 1956.
John and Sara Burr acquired the home on September 16, 1961.
Lake Erie Villa Inc. acquired the home on April 7, 1977.
Melvin and Margarite Arnold next acquired the home on March 23, 1982. Melvin made a proposal for development to include two-story townhouses in groups of six to ten for a total of seventy units. The plan also called for dividing the main house into three or four units and keeping the carriage house. The plan was not approved.
Gerald Fallon acquired the home on March 28, 1990, after it sat idle for about ten years. Mr. Fallon began a six-year renovation of the home from 1997 to 2003. The foyer was constructed with Thassos white marble floors and black absolute granite. The random width teak flooring was reclaimed along with Swalls and white walnut cabinetry from the Lakehurst estate and installed in the reconfigured living room and dining room.
A 42-foot by 26-foot two-story library addition with some of the notable elements being: a Brazilian Walnut floor laid in a double herringbone pattern; a carved Indiana limestone replica of a 17th-century fireplace; a two-story Palladian window and looking down on a ceiling mural, The Battle Good and Evil Throughout the Millennia” painted by Artur Vasilevich, a classical artist from Belarus.
Outside was an Olympic-size swimming pool and a 500-foot wilderness walk conceived by Mr. Fallon. The nine-acre estate has a 500-foot lakefront expanse and housed an original quaint gatehouse and garage building amid the luxurious grounds.
The Orange Arts Council held a home tour benefit on September 19, 2003.
George and Maria Glyptis acquired the home on September 15, 2011.
James Haslam III acquired the home on April 6, 2018. The library addition was razed to return the home to its original architecture.